Today I realized I really wanted a way to be able to read my kindle easily while riding my exercise bike. This is my solution. It’s not the prettiest thing but it holds my kindle in place right where I want it. We will see if it stays put tomorrow morning when I use the bike. Continue reading “Day 342: Something Useful”
I finished this shawl today! It’s being blocked now, but otherwise it is all done. I really love the way it turned out. It’s so pretty, I can’t decide if I want to keep it for myself or save it for a gift.
It only used a little over half of the skein I bought for it, so maybe I can make another one (in a non-beaded version) to give away.
Today’s progress was mostly weaving in ends again. It feels like a major accomplishment that I’ve only got about 5 left to deal with. Also the bottom of the sweater only needs a few more inches until I’ll be happy with the length.
I got all the ends along the bottom edge woven in last night, so I gave myself permission to work on adding length today. If I have more time later I might try to deal with a few more loose ends too. The fish blanket had a ton of ends but I was very good about dealing with them right away instead of leaving them all for later. This project has taught me that I need to use that tactic all the time so I don’t feel buried under 1,000 dangling scraps of yarn.
This hoodie seems to generate a ridiculous amount of loose ends. I decided I’m not going to continue adding more until I have tamed most of them. I got about a dozen, and there’s still more than 20 left to deal with. That’s not even counting all the ones from the sleeves that I’ve already woven in. I will definitely think twice before attempting to get fancy with color gradients again any time soon.
I started adding some width to the front of the hoodie. Once it covers my chest I’ll switch and just add more length to the bottom until I’m happy with it. It’s working up very quickly now!
Both sleeves are done! It looks like an actual sweater now! I think that’s all of the complicated parts of the pattern. The rest should just be adding length and some more coverage to the front. And weaving in the many, many ends…
I finished one sleeve of my hoodie cardigan. Because I’m a rebel, I swapped out the simple edging from the pattern for one I like a little bit better. One thing that feels pretty amazing about learning so many new crochet techniques over the past year is that I feel confident enough to make changes like this on the fly.
I made another good effort at the border for this shawl today. If I can spend some time on it over the holiday this week I might actually get it finished by next weekend. I really like this pattern but if I make it again it will be without the beads just so it doesn’t take forever.
I also spent some time today weaving in ends on my hoodie. There’s so many of them, I keep wondering where they are all coming from. Working with fiddly beads and weaving in ends isn’t the most fun way to pass a weekend, but it will make my weeknight crocheting so much more relaxing. Worth it!
It’s been over a week since I worked on my beaded shawl. I never seem to have the patience to deal with the tiny beads on weeknights. I made a lot of progress on it today though. This photo shows that I’ve officially passed the halfway point of the border! Most likely it will take 3 or 4 more sessions to finish this up, depending on how I much I want to push myself.
I started seaming the back and arms of my hoodie. I’ve never done much sewing, so this was the first time I learned mattress stitch. I used this tutorial at Moogly. It’s so simple and it looks so good! I wish I had learned this stitch much sooner!
It’s just about ready to sew up! I Think I might add just one more row to the top of the sleeves so it will fit more comfortably over winter clothes. I realized I had been trying it on every time wearing a t-shirt so I wasn’t getting a realistic fit. It is looking great though, and I just love how quickly this whole thing has come together!